Buildicons should be 256X256 sharpened DDS
|Reported by:||beherith||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by )
Why? .png is the worst possible format for images in spring mods:
- png compression is no better than 7z or zip
- png needs to be loaded into ram, decompressed to its full size, have the mipmaps generated on the fly (with the slow and suboptimal Box filter engine default), then pushed to gpu.
- DDS is better because: no decompression needed, it is decompressed with mod and sent straight to gpu, allows custom mip filters, and is stored compressed in gpu ram.
- .png transparency is NOT portable and photoshop and other editors have serious issues with it.
- A 128x128 png will take 87KB in gpu ram, while a 256x256 DDS will take the same size, and load faster and have higher resolution and look better rescaled.
- DDS supports single channel textures, such as the ones best suited for teamcolor overlays
- dxt3 is recommended for smooth alpha transitions, dxt5 for hard alpha.
- DDS does have 2 disadvantages: lossy compression (can be disabled with the -u8888 instead of -dxt3), difficulty editing (most major image editors support it with plugins).
The recommended command to compress to DDS for unit is: nvdxt.exe -file myfile.tga -Sinc -quality_highest -dxt3